Sunday, January 13, 2008

Xtimeline... A Free Online Timeline Tool

I’ve been looking for a free, online tool to create timelines. So, I’ve been experimenting with Xtimeline. I created a (very) simple timeline (History of Computers) with text, photos, and a YouTube video. You can share the URL for your timeline with others or embed it in your web site. (I embedded mine at a smaller size than the original in order to fit it in the width of my blog, so you have to play with it a bit to see the event descriptions, photos, and video. If I were embedding it on a wiki or other web site, I would use a larger size to make it easier to use.)



The site has a social aspect to it, too. You can view others’ timelines in addition to creating your own. You can also discuss, rate, and comment on timelines. You can collaborate with others to create a timeline together and you can be notified of changes on shared timelines. I haven’t tried that yet.

Xtimeline provides a tour of their application which does a good job of teaching. There also is a help section which answers the basic questions about using Xtimeline.

Xtimeline is a good, basic, easy-to-use application… and it’s free!

No comments: